The International Lace Trade Centre (ILTC), developed by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts, supported by Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India is expected to provide the much-needed push to the lace exports. The lace industry, which has been flourishing in East and West Godavari districts with Narsapur as a hub for the last 200 years, is facing hardship due to dwindling export orders for a variety of reasons.
ILTC will provide a plate form for all the exporters, big and small/ NGOs/ Artisans to showcase their lace products with value addition in the international exhibitions.
Attraction of foreign buyers by holding exhibitions with lace products on show is one of the pronounced objectives of the ILTC. Conducting fashion shows, provision of market and design development centres and a processing centre for dyeing and bleaching of the products are among the other objectives with which the ILTC was established.
The small and medium exporters could not afford to participate in the high-cost international lace expos held in different countries due to financial constraints. The ILTC is all set to bring the foreign buyers right to their doorstep now. The manufacturers are currently forced to go to Tamil Nadu for raw material, dyeing and bleaching, pushing up the production cost. The project is also expected to bring in innovation in designing and skill promotion among artisans.
OVERVIEW OF NARSAPUR LACE CLUSTER
- West Godavari District (22 mandals) & East Godavari district (6 mandals)
- 450 km from Hyderabad
- Over 1 lakh women artisans in a radius of 35 km covering 480 villages in 28 mandals in two districts working in Lace and Lace goods
- Cluster product range limited to traditional designs in home furnishings, Made-ups & Accessories
- Export of Lace and Lace Products in last three years:-
- 2012-13 Rs. 11.82 crores
- 2013-14 Rs. 17.75 crores
- 2014-15 Rs. 21.36 crores
KEY OBJECTIVES OF ILTC
In view of large number of artisans involved in production of lace & lace products and with an objective to provide them market linkage, ILTC project was approved by DC (Handicrafts). The EPCH initiated the project and set up the ILTC. The objective of ILTC are:-
- To provide Marketing platform for the entrepreneurs, artisans and exporters at the cluster
- Trade promotion through buyer-seller meets, marketing events, local retail platform, craft bazaars, fairs, etc.
- To facilitate business with prospective domestic and international buyers and designers
- To organize workshops, conferences and business meets for local capacity building
- To host buyers, designers and resource persons and provide all required support services
FACILITIES AT ILTC CENTRE
- Conference Halls/ Meeting Rooms
- Exhibition Hall
- Sales Outlets (80 Nos)
- Crafts Bazaar/ Haat
- Open air Theatre
- Administration Block
- Buyer/ Designer Guest House
- Kitchen & Dining